Career Transitions can be scary! No question about that. However, in this particularly traumatic time, thinking of career alternatives may be your best strategy to weather the new paradigm shifting world.
I came across Jonathan Field's blog today that makes some excellent points to think about and really ponder: Recession Proof Jobs, Santa Claus And The Easter Bunny
This is the time to take back the reins, get control, get creative, and think of possibilities.
The way to begin is to ask yourself these simple questions:
- What do I want?
- What's stopping me?
- What am I doing about it?
- Why couldn't I do that?
Most of the time, it's one or more of these basic things that hold us back:
- Uncertainty: not knowing clearly what we want
- Money: can't afford to do it now, have to earn a living
- Time: lack of it (too busy to concentrate on it) or inefficient use of it (disorganized or procrastinating)
- Lack of Information: when we start in ignorance, any dream looks like a huge cliff
- Negativity and FEAR: discouragement, it won't work anyway
Interestingly, #5 (FEAR) gives the other four more power!
But with support, brainstorming, and some respected others, you can combat negativity because people love to help solve problems - and it's always easier to work on someone else's with fresh eyes and no limitations.
Work with a career coach, counselor, mastermind group, success team, or advisory board, but get started by asking yourself the questions above.